This is Part 2. Part 1 covers ingredient shopping.
The first part of this guide/directory for Eating In during these strange times lists a variety of options that might help you to (a) eat well at home during the social distancing / isolation period; and (b) support the suppliers, independent food sellers and restaurateurs that have helped create such a vibrant food scene over the last (let’s say) two decades.
I planned a similarly long, themed list to cover takeaway and delivery. However, others are already on top of it and will be better placed to keep them updated. I wonder also how the plans last week of many to ‘pivot’ will change in light of the salary grant scheme.
There are a few things that’ve caught my eye, and they’re listed below (mostly local to East London — sorry). I also thought it worth duplicating here the list from Part 1, of restaurants now offering ready meals, deli items and operating as farm shops.
But for comprehensive and up-to-date information, I suggest you look to:
- Clerkenwell Boy’s daily-updated spreadsheet of London restaurants offering takeaway and delivery.
- If you prefer a list with a few sub-headings, then try Hot Dinners.
- For restaurant-industry news, maps and features, Eater London.
- The @remedy_london hospitality industry hub on instagram.
- The CODE Hospitality newsletter.
- Perhaps the most useful way to search for inspiration is location specific. I stumbled across this natty map thing via Andy Haylor.
- Deliveroo, UberEats, Slerp.
Update 24 March: most/many of the below have now decided to stop. Striking through when I see that. But for certainty, check their instagram feeds.
Eye-catching restaurant takeaway / delivery
- Rice and Bao — Rice Error — team behind champion Taiwanese steamed bun and rice restaurants pivot to delivery offer.
- Pizzas —
Pizza Pilgrims, Theo’s Pizza, Santa Maria (all for collection or Deliveroo) … and probably your local pizza place too if not these. Keep them in dough.
- Burgers —
Bleecker, Honest, Patty & Bun (contact free delivery only), Hache Burgers (contact free delivery) (Deliveroo).
- Great sandwiches and other lunch-type bowls — Visions Canteen;
Bodega Ritas(*on pause, though Wednesday delivery of tempting things); Snack Bar; Sons + Daughters
- Natty wine and gently brilliant food —
Peg, Bright (online store only)and P Franco
- Eastern Mediterranean — Oren — superb Israeli comfort food (check out the video on instagram)
- Regional Chinese-inspired food — Lucky & Joy (contact free collection only) — by ex-Moro crew.
- God tier flatbreads and other flavourful things — Black Axe Mangal — delivery and collection from Highbury and Islington (fingers crossed)
- Noodle soup — Supa-Ya Ramen — delivery and collection from Hackney Rd (fingers crossed)
Restaurants selling produce / key ingredients by delivery and takeaway
- Monty’s Deli — Mensch lumps of salt beef, pastrami, bagels. Love these guys.
- Eat Lagom — (incredible) Sunday lunch smoked whole chicken, meats and more, delivered within 3 miles of Hackney — watch Elliot’s stories for updates.
- Coombeshead Farm — The brilliant farm-fork restaurant and rooms in Cornwall is about to launch a provisions (amazing home grown bread, honey, charcuterie) delivery service.
- Brat is opening a farm shop and grill to sell wine and produce from key suppliers. Check their instagram for full details, but begins Sunday 22 March, 11am. Beneath them, Smoking Goat may follow with producer ingredients, cooking pastes and sauces(?).
- A (growing) handful of East London and Cambridge restaurants will act as pick-up spots for veg boxes from horse-driven farm Flourish Produce — Hill & Szrok, Peg, Esters, Jolene and Pavilion in Hackney, Vanderlyle, Thirsty Cambridge and The Linton Kitchen in Cambridge. follow Flourish for details.
- Loyal Tavern, Bermondsey — essentially operating as a deli for the time-being, selling the food of their producers (mostly small British producers)
- More to come.
Restaurants now prepping meal kits / food to reheat at home
Pophams— fresh pasta and sauces (and croissants?) for pick up and delivery, now a mixture of sweet treats delivered 1 mile radius London Fields. Sorella — fresh pasta, anti pasti and sides, for pick-up Clapham
- Ombra — fresh pasta, sauces, produce, tiramisu. Pick-up and delivery (set times) Hackney.
- And for not quite as fresh but still fresh pasta kits delivered nationwide, Pasta Evangelists.
Honey & Spice — the deli from the lovely team already did hampers and catering, now pushing out more of their Middle Eastern deliciousness. Quality Chop House — family-sized pies, vac packed stews and braises, deli items, for collection (Clerkenwell) and delivery Clipstone — anti pasti, delicious things to warm up, and desserts. Collection (Fitzrovia) and delivery
- The Laughing Heart — from next week, ‘comfort’ (but going to be classy) ready meals and natty wines.
CuveeShop — North London wine bar doing well thought through offer of starters, fresh pasta and a daily dessert (plus wine) by bike. Forza WinRoad — banging starters and fresh pasta to cook / reheat at home. Peckham, and around South London.
- Pidgin – clever 3 courser (plus focaccia) for home re-plating/cooking. Changes daily. Pick up from Hackney restaurant.
- Patty & Bun and
Pizza Pilgrimsare selling meal kits for burgers and frying pan pizza, respectively (obviously).
- Eat Eight is the frozen ready-meal — from a catering company now without events.
One thought on “Eating out, in, in the time of COVID-19 — takeaway and delivery”
Check this out: https://shop.mustardfoods.com/