This is the Long Story
I started Rocket and Squash in May 2010 for a whole host of reasons, though I don’t really remember now what most of those were.
Perhaps it was to motivate me to tick off the restaurants on my ever-growing list of places to go, and to regularly cook new things. It might also have been because I thought that writing a blog would provide me with a creative outlet; an escape from my job as a City lawyer, based around the things I liked doing the most.
Whatever the spark, I thoroughly enjoyed doing it.
In December 2011 I decided to leave the corporate world, as I finally realised that I wanted at least to try and earn a living in the food industry.
- I re-trained as a chef, achieving distinction grade for the Level 3 Professional Chef Diploma at Westminster Kingsway college
- I did and still do occasional stints in high-end restaurant kitchens, sporadically host occasional supper clubs and help other chefs with their events;
- I was the Assistant Producer and Food Consultant on Raymond Blanc’s ‘How to Cook Well’;
- I develop and write recipes for weekend supplements, food magazines and brands;
- I consult for corporates, speak at events and menu develop for new restaurant/takeaway concepts;
- I have devised, written and styled a recipe book – On the Side. This is to be published by Bloomsbury in May 2017, and was shortlisted for the inaugural Jane Grigson Trust Award for food books by new authors; and
- I am a non-exec Director of the British cured meat specialists Cannon and Cannon (having spent time running the wholesale business and as Creative Director).
But mostly I write …
- I contribute to Borough Market’s online magazine each month and their bi-monthly Market Life magazine.
- My written work and recipes have appeared in (among others) The FT Weekend Magazine, The Guardian, The Guardian Cook (as Resident chef, August 2016), The Independent on Sunday RIP (as resident cookery writer, November 2016), The Telegraph Weekend, The Sunday Times, The Saturday Times Magazine, Sainsbury’s Magazine, EasyJet Traveller, Munchies.com, Mens Health, Historic Royal Palaces Magazine, The Covent Garden and Marylebone Journals, The Foodie Bugle, Cereal Magazine, and Toast Magazine;
- Various awards and commendations for my writing, and for this blog, are listed here, if you’re interested.
No doubt the website will continue to evolve over time – probably charting or at least reflecting my descent from the comfort of salaried lawyer, to enthusiastic chef student and wannabe food writer, to abject failure, poverty and then the inevitable creep back to my former profession.
At the time of writing, I am 34.9 years old and still have most of my hair. I’m rarely happier than when I’m sat with a slice of well toasted sourdough, good butter, great anchovies and an overpriced filter coffee.
London, October 2016