Rocket & Squash is a journal of food related experiences that I think are worth sharing. It covers the restaurants I go to, the meals I cook and, on occasion, food related travel or items of note.
I started the blog in May 2010 for a whole host of reasons, though I don’t really remember now what most of those were.
Perhaps it was to motivate me to tick off the restaurants on my ever-growing list of places to go, and to regularly cook new things. It might also have been because I thought that writing a blog would provide me with a creative outlet; an escape from my job as a City lawyer, based around the things I liked doing the most.
Whatever the reasons, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed doing it.
In December 2011 I decided to leave that well paid job as I finally realised that I wanted at least to try and earn a living in the food industry.
- I achieved distinction grade for the Level 3 Professional Chef Diploma at Westminster Kingsway college, do occasional stints in high-end restaurant kitchens, sporadically host occasional supper clubs and help other chefs with their events;
- I was the Assistant Producer and Food Consultant on Raymond Blanc’s ‘How to Cook Well’;
- I consult for corporates and menu develop for new restaurant/takeaway concepts;
- I also offer my services for private cooking tuition and catering. See the links in the left hand margins; and
- For half my week, I am the Creative Director of Cannon and Cannon.
But mostly I write:
- I contribute each month to Borough Market, Borough Market Life, to Flavour First, and Groupon City Guide;
- My written work and recipes have appeared in (among others) The Guardian, The Sunday Times, Sainsbury’s Magazine, The Covent Garden and Marylebone Journals, The Foodie Bugle, Cereal Magazine; and
- I was delighted to be named in a shortlist of 3 for ‘Best Online Food Writer’ in the 2013 Fortnum and Mason Food Awards, ‘Best Online Restaurant Writer’ in the 2014 awards and the 2014 Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year Awards.
If you are interested, you can see pictures of what I cook and eat by following me on Instagram. By following me on Twitter you can get the usual inane updates mixed with very occasional gems about places to go, or food events that are taking place. I am @rocketandsquash on both forums.
Rocket & Squash will continue to evolve over time – no doubt it will chart or at least reflect my descent from the comfort of salaried lawyer, to enthusiastic chef student and wannabe food writer, to abject failure, poverty and then the inevitable creep back to my former profession.
If something I have written interests, pleases or enrages you, do add a comment to the relevant post. If you would like to contact me more generally, please feel free to send me an email (email@example.com).
For what it’s worth, my name is Edward Smith. At the time of writing, I am 33 and a bit years old and still have most of my hair. I’m rarely happier than when I’m sat with a slice of well toasted sourdough, good butter, great anchovies and an overpriced filter coffee.
London, January 2015
The website is powered by WordPress and was built by Oliver Smith. The typeface used is Garamond. To avoid Rocket & Squash appearing a bit funky, we recommend that you view this website in a modern web browser such as Apple Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox (3+). If you must use Internet Explorer, please upgrade to at least version 9 … but be prepared for a rough ride.